In this section, we are going to look at strategies to get 7+ bands in IELTS writing task 2, assessment criteria of writing and specific structure of a agree and disagree essay. In IELTS writing task-2, a candidate is supposed to write an essay for a given topic.
ASSESSMENT CRITERIA OF ESSAY :
1. Task response
In this criteria, the type of answer that you write for the essay type question is assessed. It assesses the main idea of the essay and the way in which you present it to the examiner with meaningful examples.
This is how well your ideas follow from one to the next with seamless and logical transition. As you develop your paragraph, your ideas must be related to each other and they should be logically linked with referencing and linking words.
The definition of coherence is something logical or consistent and something that makes sense as a whole. An example of coherence is an argument that has no inconsistencies.
4. Lexical resources
The use of wide range of vocabulary, appropriate spellings, correct implementation of collocations and word formation are taken care of while scoring this criterion.
5. Grammatical Range & Accuracy
To score this criterion, things taken into consideration include sentence structures, proper use of tenses, putting right punctuation, use of simple as well as complex statements with clear idea and control over Grammar.
AGREE OR DISAGREE ESSAY :
In this section, we are going to learn a structure of agree or disagree essay. These tasks typically say ‘X is a good thing. Do agree or disagree?’. Again, the exact words will often vary (for example, many people support the suggestion of X. Do you agree or disagree) but the concept will be the same. In these tasks, you are expected to give your personal viewpoint. In this type of essays, you should state your personal viewpoint at the beginning of the essay, and then explain why you have this opinion.
STRUCTURE OF ESSAY :
- Introduction – Mention the writer’s position clearly
- Body paragraph(1) – Agree or Disagree
- Body paragraph(2) – Agree or Disagree
- Body paragraph(2) – Disagree or Agree (Some other people’s opinion)
EASY TO USE FORMAT :
Although, many people believe that given statement is good / acceptable / convincing, I think in a reverse manner and agree / disagree to the given statement. My inclination is justified in the ensuing paragraphs.
BODY PARAGRAPH-1 :
Out of all the arguments, the strongest one to prove my view is reason-1 . This is to say explanation of reason-1 . A good example for this is example of reason-1 . Besides this, it is also true that reason-2 . By this I mean explanation of reason-2 .
BODY PARAGRAPH-2 :
The other reason to prove my point is reason-3 because explanation of reason-3 . In addition, the fact that reason-4 is also logical.
BODY PARAGRAPH-3 :
On the contrary, some people counter claim the mentioned support. The foremost argument they do is reason-1(opposite to your opinion) . Also, reason-2(opposite to your opinion) .
Thus, to wrap up the discussion, it can be said that despite and points of B.P-3 , my reasons that points of B.P-1 as well as points of B.P-2 are logically acceptable.
Keep in mind :
The above structure is for agree or disagree in which you are given a task to mention clear writer’s position and give appropriate reasons. According to the topic you should change the sentences. This structure is for your reference, do not copy this word to word, instead try to convert it in your own words. The purpose of this format is to show you the proper structure which you should follow to get 7+ bands in IELTS writing.
- Tourism is always a force for good which enables people of different countries to understand each other. Do you agree or disagree ? You should give reasons for your answer, and include ideas and examples from your own knowledge and experience.
- We should introduce laws to make business and state services employ equal numbers of male and female workers in every department or area of the country. Do you agree or disagree ? You should give reasons for your answer, and include ideas and examples from your own knowledge and experience.
- Prison is the only truly effective form of punishment, because it separates criminals from society. Do you agree or disagree ? You should give reasons for your answer, and include ideas and examples from your own knowledge and experience.
Practice these techniques and strategies. You can get the practice material from here.
I hope you find this section useful and if you have any queries or comments, please let me know below.
The best possible way to get updates about our blogs. Follow us @wordsforielts.
Contact us here to get email notification and some useful vocabulary list or tips.
Good luck for your exams.
Thank you !