In this section, we are going to look at strategies to get 7+ bands in IELTS writing task 2, types of essays and specific structure of a To what extent do you agree or disagree? In IELTS writing task-2, a candidate is supposed to write an essay for a given topic.
ASSESSMENT CRITERIA OF ESSAY :
1. Task response
In this criteria, the type of answer that you write for the essay type question is assessed. It assesses the main idea of the essay and the way in which you present it to the examiner with meaningful examples.
This is how well your ideas follow from one to the next with seamless and logical transition. As you develop your paragraph, your ideas must be related to each other and they should be logically linked with referencing and linking words.
The definition of coherence is something logical or consistent and something that makes sense as a whole. An example of coherence is an argument that has no inconsistencies.
4. Lexical resources
The use of wide range of vocabulary, appropriate spellings, correct implementation of collocations and word formation are taken care of while scoring this criterion.
5. Grammatical Range & Accuracy
To score this criterion, things taken into consideration include sentence structures, proper use of tenses, putting right punctuation, use of simple as well as complex statements with clear idea and control over Grammar.
TYPES OF ESSAY :
- Opinions (Agree / Disagree)
- Advantages and disadvantage
- Discussion (both the views and opinion)
- Problem and Solution
- Two-part questions
STRUCTURE OF ESSAY :
- Introduction – Mention the writer’s position to large extent 80%
- Body paragraph(1) – 80% Agree or Disagree
- Body paragraph(2) – 80% Agree or Disagree
- Body paragraph(3) – 20% Disagree or Agree (Some other people’s opinion)
EASY TO USE FORMAT :
Although, many people believe that (given statement) , I differ/support to this to a large extent for some reasons. My position is argued further with explanations.
BODY PARAGRAPH-1 :
Out of all the reasons, the foremost one is (reason-1) . This is due to (explanation of reason-1) . A good example for this is (example of reason-1) . To add to this, (supporting statements to reason-1) .
BODY PARAGRAPH-2 :
Additionally, (general statement of reason-2) . This is because (explanation of reason-2) . Moreover, (supporting statements to reason-2) . For instance, (example of reason-2) .
BODY PARAGRAPH-3 :
However, I would not overlook the other side too. To begin with, (reason-1) . Also, (reason-2) .
Thus, to conclude the discussion, it can be finally said that although/despite the fact/issue of (other’s opinion) , I believe (your opinion) is rational.
Keep in mind :
The above structure is for agree or disagree type of essay in which you are given a task to mention writer’s position and give appropriate reasons. According to the topic you should change the sentences. This structure is for your reference, do not copy this word to word, instead try to convert it in your own words. The purpose of this format is to show you the proper structure which you should follow to get 7+ bands in IELTS writing.
- People do not need to learn different foreign languages whatsoever and computers can be used to translate the languages for them. To what extent do you agree with this?
- Children spend a great deal of time in school, more specifically in class with classmates with whom they not only study but also do many other activities. Many people believe that a school-going child is more influenced by its classmates for its performance in the school than even its parents. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Practice these techniques and strategies. You can get the practice material from here.
I hope you find this section useful and if you have any queries or comments, please let me know below.
You can find other essay structures from given links:
- IELTS essay structure of Agree or Disagree essay
- IELTS essay structure of Causes and Effects essay
- IELTS essay structure of Discussion essay
The best possible way to get updates about our blogs. Follow us @wordsforielts.
Contact us here to get email notification and some useful vocabulary list or tips.
Good luck for your exams.
Thank you !