These two techniques are essential for reading module as you will save time and get the definite results. Skimming and scanning are very rapid reading methods in which you glance at a passage to find specific information. These reading methods make it easier for you to grasp important points from large amounts of materials.
Goal : Get an overview of the text or the main idea of the passage.
How to use:
- Read the title.
- Don’t overlook the subtitles or sub-headings.
- Read the first two lines of each paragraphs and underline them.
- Read and underline the last two lines of each paragraph.
- Read the last paragraph very quickly
- Underline and map the keywords from the questions.
Goal: To search the keyword in the passages or find out specific word.
How to use:
- Always remember what you are looking for?
- Know the type of information you are searching for (i.e a number/date/percentage, any scientific or medical term, any name etc.)
- After skimming you get to know the location of the word you are searching for
After completion of skimming and scanning you will find the exact locations and exact answers from the passages.